Thursday, October 13, 2011

Les Manifestations

I received an email yesterday from my study abroad coordinator back home telling us to be careful to not get involved in any of the protests going on right now in France.  Believe me, that's the last thing I want to do.  In France, protests, demonstrations, and strikes are simply part of life...postal strikes, transportation strikes....basically any government operation is probably going to have a strike at some point.  It's generally for a pay raise...but what isn't about that these days? 

My professor was talking about this yesterday in class.  She said that the protests kind of die down in the winter simply because it's too cold, but when spring comes out, so do the French...chanting, "Je ne suis pas content!"  (I'm not happy!)  This made me laugh so much.  I've not really experienced any of the protesting yet, but some of my friends have had some trouble in the past couple days with the trams in centreville. 

In other news, I've been invited to go to Normandie with the Irish couple from my theatre class, Andrew and Heather.  They're taking their car up for a couple days during our Toussaint vacation, and I get to come along!   Exciting!  I'll probably spend the rest of the vacation taking day trips nearby.  I'm extremely broke, so I'm going to have to save most of my money for traveling in December when Brook gets here.  Hopefully I'll get my stipend soon, because my bank account is taking a hit. À la prochain.

No comments:

Post a Comment