Monday, November 28, 2011

Thanksgiving in France

Last Thursday was THANKSGIVING!  or as the French say, "Zanksgeeveeng."   I had always been taught "Jour de l'accion de grâce,"  but I've mostly heard just heard people say Thanksgiving with a French accent.   Even though the French don't celebrate Thanksgiving,  we couldn't handle just letting it pass us by as just any other day.  So, we went to E.Leclerc and bought all our Thanksgiving "fixings."  Ha.  We got a rotisserie chicken, broccoli, mushrooms, seasoned potatoes, cheese, bread, a Breton cake type thing for dessert, and wine.  (All for about 24 euros!)   It was definitely a Thanksgiving to remember.  It was, without a doubt, the hardest day to be away from home, but I'm very thankful to have spent it with new friends.



Our Thanksgiving feast!

Ready to eat!


Fromage for after the meal

Our dessert

In other news, Brook will be arriving in France in just over 2 weeks!  I'm so excited!!!  We will be spending the 13th and 14th in Nantes...seeing the sights and whatnot....Then we're headed to Munich, Germany on the 15th and then to Paris on the 18th where we will stay until we fly HOME on the 22nd.  Since the guidebook I bought before I got here is nearly useless,  I bought a little book called "Paris en quelques jours" (Paris in a few days)  basically for the maps and hours of operation of museums.  Paris, I'm fairly familiar with, but Munich should be interesting. I've never been to Germany before, and I don't speak a world of German except "Danke."   I'm really counting on people being able to speak either English, French, or Spanish.  I'm thinking my chances are pretty decent.  

I can't believe that these 4 months are going by so quickly.  In 17 days, I leave Nantes!  It's so strange to think about.  I have such mixed feelings about going home.  Of course I  miss things from home...but I know that I'll also miss things from France when I leave. November's almost over, and December will be filled with play performances, exams, and traveling....  Then, it's time for Christmas in Lawrenceburg, TN.  *Cue  "The Final Countdown" playing in your head*

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment